July 31, 2013
Dear Family
I made it! I've survived the first week of
the MTC. It hasn't been easy but it has been worth it (such is the
nature of everything in the Gospel).
Saying goodbye to the
family was one of the strangest experiences of my life. It hurt; but I
know in leaving I can return later. Things like that have to hurt; or
else they don't mean anything.
My companion is Elder Darren Smith. The best way i can
describe him is he looks like the bully from "A Christmas Story" and
laughs like a muppet (through a lateral lisp). He ran hurdles in High
School and always asks me how to be more flexible whenever we have gym
time. The thing that is unique about him is that he has a huge family: 6
brothers and 2 sisters. He has a strong testimony of the Plan of
Salvation because he sees 2 of his brothers that have mental
disabilities - he taught powerfully to a man in role-play of Heavenly
Father's plan for each of us.
Elder Smith is hooked on bananas and I can't tell if it's
a good thing or a bad thing. His favorite thing to do is see the least
amount of bites he can eat a banana in. So far he's made it to three -
the sisters in our district just love when he does it. But I always get a
good laugh out of it.
The food at the MTC is not kind to the stomach - so tasty
- but has done work on the aroma in our apartment. Our district
comprises of 10 missionaries total: Elders Robinson & Smith, Webster
& Walkup, Folker & Crandall; Sisters Silva & Asper, and
Hansen & Nichols. Starting out everything was kinda awkward with
having a second-half per se 24/7 but it's turned out to be fun.
Walkup is a living Mr. Bean - looks, demeanor,
and humor; Webster (district leader) is a jokester; Crandall is like a
big teddy bear, Folker reminds me so much Uncle Nathan, Smith is the
time keeper ("it is __:__, let it be known").
We've had a number of funny things happen: tone-deaf shower singing, Crandall's midnight
sleep walks, Elder Walkup destroying the bathroom - potty jokes don't
get old, it's okay to laugh :), Sister missionaries getting chased by a
mouse, and the list goes on. Plenty more to come, I'm sure.
I've been sending a bunch of letters out lately because I
am eager to share all I've learned. The Gospel is worth it. Prayer and
scripture study is a gateway to knowledge and understanding who we are
in relation to the work at hand. We can trust that the Spirit is guiding
us when we know we are doing what our Heavenly Father asks. God's love
is simple; the gospel is simple. I'm grateful for the love that I have
received - your prayers have not gone unnoticed - and know that you are
in my prayers.
Dreams really come true; we need only believe,
Elder Taft McIntyre Robinson
No comments:
Post a Comment