Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 12, 2013 "Hello There from Wisconsin (P-Day 1)"

Utahns (and one DR schmoe),
 
So I'm here in Wisconsin - wondered if it would actually would happen, but yep, I'm here. In the airport I was able to call home and say farewell to the family and friends, sing Cumbaya, and hopped on an airplane. I was able to give a passalong card to a woman in the airport who looked at me like I was crazy but I was not prepared for the conversation in-flight. I sat next to two women who were speaking about "Hands for Haiti" for a while - with one of the women speaking out against certain "large non-profit organizations" while looking directly at me. And so, I left a note and card to visit mormon.org. Stick it to the man!
 
In between flights I found out that Elder Walkup was not going to come with us to Wisconsin, and so we said goodbye at his gate and sent him home to Virginia. He's hoping to serve a Service Mission closer to home.
 
We were greeted by Elder and Sister Cutler at the Airport - a wave of humidity, ya, felt it - where they drove us to a church for interviews while the Sister missionaries went to take naps at the Mission Home. We were interviewed, fed, and then each person was invited to share testimony in a testimony at the end of the day. We were up for 40 hours straight and man-o-man I don't want to do that again. Long story short, we were put in a hotel for the night and assigned companions in the morning.
 
We were welcomed to the assigning meeting with all the current missionaries singing "Called to Serve". We all received companions and were sent to our areas; mine being Gresham with Elder Aaron Leben.
 
Elder Leben is here in Gresham for a second time and last transfer. He's the district leader and a fantastic teacher when it comes to simply and succinctly. I have a lot to learn from him. He grew up in Braunschweig, Germany area and is a huge soccer fan; he filled me in on all that's happening for the World Cup. His sense of humor is extremely dry and he loves to tease in every subtle way he can. Likes shoes, shopping, and is going to college in Germany to be an Engineer. Silent but deadly.
 
We are staying with Grandma Rekow in a small house that was built in 1920's. It's a farm. Where I had imagined and planned on serving in a busy city I'm learning what farm country is like. We get the eggs each morning and live off food like carrott pancakes and beet/carrot juice. I'm not sure if I'll be gaining a lot of weight this mission - we'll see what winter brings. Rekow is in her 70's and loves to tease us missionaries by setting us up with her granddaughters that are close to our age - you'd be surprised how successful she's been with 1 or 2 missionaries. We pull pranks on her occasionally - dressing the coat rack up like a robber and such. She had Elder Leben kill a bat that was flying around the house and when we went to throw it away it was gone. She's golden.
 
This place is amazing. We go running every morning and I feel like I'm running through Hobbiton - bear with me here - the whole place is corn fields and gardens. You drive on the road and see nothing but field after field of green landscape. You have got to see this.
 
I'm beginning to learn the city and the people. We've been working with a few Investigators on teaching the Restoration and the blessings of the Gospel. I find that the biggest trouble up here is the Word of Wisdom - not a shocker. People may believe what we have to teach but it usually depends on their willingness to give up vices and obey the Word of Wisdom. Many-a investigator and inactive member have struggles with this. But, we always work to improve. We're hoping to meet with a man who recently survived a 4-wheeler accident; it broke his left leg, broke all the ribs on his left side, and put him in the hospital. From what we're told he is now seeing the influence of God in his life and recognizes the need for a change; his sister is a through and through Catholic so we're hoping and praying we'll get the chance to teach him.
 
We went to the Harley Davidson diner and museum - very cool place; so much meat to eat. I had the chance to go to a Mohican POW-WOW this past Friday night - so interesting to hear the singing and watch the dancing.
 
Yesterday we went to a baptism; Porter Hoffman (8 year-old) and what an experience. I got a glimpse of the joy that baptism brings - what Heavenly Father must feel - because when Porter came out of the water the first thing that I wanted to do was just give him a big bear hug. Not to sound weird or anything but I know that Heavenly Father up there is just waiting to give each of us a big hug when we return home. That just stuck out to me.
 
We went to a dinner appointment at the Templetons where I gave a picture of Jesus riding the donkey and the littlest girl there Elaynna said, "That's my Dad." I explained that it is Jesus Christ and that he loves her with all his heart. She asked me if she could keep it forever; I told her to keep it forever and forever.
 
I'm learning to keep the Savior in my heart all the time. I pray for each of you, love you all, and I see you in 2!
 
Your missionary,
Elder Taft McIntyre Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment