Sunday, September 15, 2013

Aug 19, 2013 'Nazi Pancakes, RM Marriages and Windows Opening'

 August 19, 2013
Dear Family,
Grandma (Abuela as I call her) has never ceased to amaze me with her plethora of cooking. Potato donuts, carrot pancakes, mystery fruit topping, and even Nazi pancakes. Grandma is the kind of person that will lift you up without you even recognizing it; literally everything she has she knows comes from Heavenly Father. I'm beginning to see the endless blessings that I see in my own life.
I was studying about the law of tithing and found that if we are willing to pay our tithing that the heavens will open and pour out so many blessings we won't have room enough. I see that in our own family life and history - we've had some rough spots but through the Lord we've always managed to make it through. (Imagine the blessings that come through obedience to all other commandments.)
We had an appointment with an older man named Larry. He wasn't all that religious until he was in a bar one night, having bet on a Packers he had guessed the score would be 24-17. The Packers were pushed back to the goal line and Larry yelled, "Please Lord, I'll go to church." Well, lo and behold, the other team fumbled and Larry found himself in church the next morning. Since then he's been interested in the church and we work with him each day. I have this feeling that he'll be baptized soon enough.
Tracting is not easy here in Wisconsin; most people have either been told by their pastors to specifically avoid the Mormons or have already voiced their disinterest. It's difficult to see people close the door on a message that grants eternal happiness. Elder Leben and I discuss a lot about the Plan of Salvation.
However, as difficult as tracting can be, we were invited into one house. Elsie, an older woman with a big family, has such faith in Jesus Christ and we are eager to invite her to read the Book of Mormon. She's been to Temple Square and loved Utah - even likes the Mormons she knows. And she wants to know more!
There is a huge population of Mohican and Manaumani indians up here. They believe in what is called "The Big Drum" that teaches very similar values and principle that Christ teaches. One of the most difficult things that the Indians struggle with is that Christians don't seem to live their own religion. No one is perfect but with every stereotype there is an ounce of truth. So, hopefully, we can change that stereotype. Regardless, the indian people are loving and pretty open to hearing what we have to teach - even if they aren't interested in changing.
We spent a day on our bikes and got really saddle sore - pretty sure my back tire was loose too - but we were able to see a little more of the country here. I'll get some pictures ASAP.
Elder Leben and I continue to grow as a companionship. I've learned a number of things from him: 1) simply looking at someone and not saying a thing is fine, 2) silence is a powerful teacher, 3) being blunt about how you feel is not impolite, and 4) European Soccer is awesome. Leben has this sense of humor that is quick and subtle but gut-busting funny. He and Grandma banter about Nazis (he's cool with it) and her getting old; not to mention Grandma trying to set us up with her Granddaughters. He's headed to college soon and we talked about his plans: he's not a fan of a ginger wife in the future.
I spoke in church yesterday and felt I was able to communicate the reason of repentance; like Alma to Corianton - we need not dwell on our mistakes other than to turn us closer to Christ.
I'm beginning to get a feel for what this place is all about and how to address certain concerns. God always fulfill his promises. And I look at John 14 where it commands us not to be afraid - Jesus Christ has faith in us so let's show some faith in him.
-Elder Taft Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment