Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 9, 2013 "Hunting Pattern, Exchanges with Gautavi, Larry's Prayer

September 9, 2013
 
Hey Family,
This has been yet another exciting week in Gresham, Wisconsin. We continue to teach the few investigators we have and search to share our message with everyone.

One of the huge things about this week was the 1-6 Training Meeting where all trainers and their trainees met for a follow-up on how everything is going. I saw my entire district from the MTC and was able to talk with them on how their experiences are. It's reassuring to see that many of us have the same challenges in adjusting to missionary life and look to one another for ideas in finding, teaching, and being better prepared to share the gospel.
We learned about how faith in Jesus Christ and repentance were the means by which the war in heaven was won. As missionaries we are reminding people of the faith they already have but need to walk by. President Cutler is one incredible teacher.

Elder Leben said something absolutely hilarious about the Sister missionaries at the training meeting. (A sister that I lent $5 to in the airport for luggage paid me back after the meeting - Leben didn't know what was going on.) In response to the many young sisters coming into the field he coaxed, "They're in your hunting pattern, Elder." He goes home on the 18th and I'll miss his jokes.
I went on an exchange to Wisconsin Rapids - which reminds me of Sugarhouse - with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Gautavi (Nah- tuh- vi). We made a commitment to talk to literally everyone we saw on the street and saw miracles happen. We ended up teaching 4 lessons and scheduling 2 return appointments within 3 hours. Gautavi is focused on teaching through love because that is from God. In our success, however, we taught a family who is in despair of their extended family - it breaks my heart to see people cry and mourn for their families. Yet, we were able to invite them to church and promised peace through faith.
We had a chance to teach Larry again and prepare him for being baptized - he's the football fan. Going over the baptism interview questions he is getting closer and closer to the goal - he has a hang-up with prophets and the Word of Wisdom but he is making subtle changes each week. He prayed verbally for the first time with us and it was a special moment. I have this profound feeling that he will, in fact, be baptized into this church and continue to progress. By small and simple things, right?
I am so grateful for this experience. We drive in the car a lot and I have some time each day to reflect on my life and all the special experiences that have influenced who I am today; I think back to Heather Christensen's sacrifice, High school, scout camps, disneyland trips, and moments with my family members. Literally every time I feel down or unwilling to do something I start counting my blessings and my desire to serve grows stronger than it's been.
Thanks,
-Elder Taft Robinson
PS. Let me know if these emails are too lengthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment