August 26, 2013
Dear Family,
This has been a week of service. Last Wednesday - the day
before zone conference and exchanges - a tornado blew through Gresham. Don't
worry, everyone is fine. (It was actually the coolest storm I've ever seen.)
Our APs drove through it to get to Grandma's where we all enjoyed some SunDrop
and a nice farm grown dinner.
The next day we had Zone Conference and took off on
exchanges. I went to an area that is gigantic; called Rhinelander. I served
with Elder Aubrey - he's an older brother of my friend Elijah Aubrey who leaves
for Russia within the next few weeks. We taught a man on agency and the
blessings that come through making the right choices. The best experience,
however, came when we were serving in an elderly home for the day and I was
thinking about the family. I felt the impression: everyone is fine; they'll be
there when you get home.
As great as exchanges were it was really nice to be back in
Gresham with Elder Leben. We went and celebrated a member's birthday and I ate
three pieces of cake (don't be surprised if I'm chubby when I come home, they
just keep feeding us).
Given the tornado we've spent these past few days helping
people cut up trees and haul away brush. I've got some pictures of the
aftermath - we are so blessed that these massive trees didn't fall on more of
these houses. Not to mention the great blessing of service.
We've
visited a family in the area that loves having us come by; Lee, Amy, and Abby.
They love seeing us but we generally have no idea of what to expect when we
stop by. However, they have a game where they have to pay a quarter if they
swear in front of the elders - and, needless to say, the quarter jar is filling
up. They believe in families can be together forever and I'm hoping we'll be
able to teach them.
I've been working studying through Book of Mormon and just
read the Savior's ministry. And I thought about Enos learning that he is
forgiven - instantly, he stops worrying about himself and seeks to teach anyone
he can. That's powerful. As we increase the vision of the Gospel in our lives
our desire to share it grows. My desire to serve grows each and every day - and
I'd be lying if I said this was easy; however, it's worth it.
I have come to know for myself that The Savior lives. Joseph
Smith did, in fact, see our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The Book of
Mormon is the word of God and a testament to us that we can be saved from the
gall of bitterness and woe - we need only honor our covenants. I have come to
be grateful for the difficult times and trials because I know that God always
fulfills his promises; we need only be patient. We are empowered individuals
against the forces of the Adversary.
Your missionary,
Elder Taft
McIntyre Robinson
No comments:
Post a Comment